The Infinix Zero 8 happens to be one, among the few but rapidly growing number of Infinix smartphones to features a hole punch display, and as such, it is lacking a native notification LED light.
Now on a very good day, this shouldn’t be an issue to anyone, I mean, a greater number of people out there, including myself, will have no problem using a phone without a native notification LED light.
But the few persons who can’t, or for those who just want to try something new with the hole punch cut out on their Infinix smartphones, today I’ll show you a fun way that lets you make use of the hole punch cutout on your Infinix Zero 8, as a custom hole punch inspired notification LED.
Something that looks like this…
So after we’ve finished setting ours up, the next time you get a notification on your phone, you’ll have that light ring up there, hovering over the hole punch cutout of your Zero 8 phone.
And without further ado, let’s get started.. #Enjoy
Setting up a custom hole punch inspired notification LED on our Infinix Zero 8 phone.
Go to Google Play Store and download the AOE “Always-On Edge” app, or simply do same by tapping on the “install” button below.
After you’ve downloaded and installed it, open the app and grant it access to the necessary permissions that it will request from you.
After you’ve done everything from the first step above, you should be taken straight to the app’s homepage, and it looks this way.
From there, tap on the first option that says “Main settings” and you should find yourself on a new page that looks this way.
While on this page, you can skim through it by reading the descriptions written under each setting option, so you can learn what each one does.
But in a bid to save time, I’d advice that you set yours the same way they have been set for you from the screenshot above, and make sure that you save your settings before leaving the page.
Setting up hole punch inspired notification LED on Infinix S5 – Step Three
Now go back to the app’s homepage, tap the second option that says “App Settings“, and you should find yourself on this page.
Now this is one pretty long page, and for starters, you can set your options the exact way they have been set for you from the screenshot above.
But for those who want to go gangster, you can take your time to go through the page and tinker with the options one at a time, until you’re satisfied with what you have.
The options are self-explanatory, so i don’t think anyone should have a problem telling what each one does.
After you’ve saved your settings from the last steps above, now go back to the app’s homepage and select the third option there that says “Lighting settings“.
Now from this point onwards, things should begin to get a little bit more complicated, but a lot more personal, interesting, and creative.
Reason is because, this is the page where you’ll get to customize the shape, look, feel and behavior of your to be custom hole punch notification LED.
So the first thing we’re gonna do here is to carve out a shape or a cutout for our hole punch notification LED, and after that, we’ll try to align it with the actual hole punch cutout on our Infinix Zero 8 phone, and finally, we’ll go ahead and add features such as colors, effects and animations, etc.
So, here are the steps you should follow.
- First of all, make sure that the option for “Enable Edge Lighting“ is enabled. This option is located at the very top of the page. You can make use of the screenshots posted above as a reference.
- Now move further down the page and enable the option that says “Enable Notch Support” and select the option that says “Adjust Manually” from the two options made available for you to choose from.
- For “Notch Type”, select “O”. Then you can use the slider below that is labelled as “Notch Height” to adjust how big or tiny that you want the light ring to be.
- There is also a second slider at the top that is labelled as “Edges thickness“, and as you already guessed, it is used to adjust how thick or thin that you want the light ring to be.
- You can set “Curve Radius” to “0” as it doesn’t do anything at this point.
- Now keep scrolling down the page until you see a section of it that is labelled as “Notch Placement”, and make sure it is set to “Around Notch Only”, and from this point, everything should begin to make to a lot more sense to you.
Now that we have successfully carved out a shape for our custom hole punch LED notification, it is time to make it align with the actual hole punch cutout on our Infinix Zero 8 phone.
And to do that, follow the succeeding steps that are listed below.
- To select the position of your phone’s camera hole punch cutout, you have three options to choose from, namely; “Right, Left & Center”. You should see them in this same page that you’re still in.
- If you selected “Left” which is probably what you’ll do cause that is where that of the Infinix Zero 8 is located, the light ring wouldn’t just move over to the left immediately. You will still have to adjust it so it properly aligns with the phone’s hole punch camera cutout.
- And to do so, you’ll have to make use of the slider that is labelled as “Top (set 0 if not hole)”, it is located just above those three options that lets you select the position of your phone’s hole punch cutout.
- This slider lets you move the light ring upwards or downward, and then one last slider that is unlabelled, but is located just below those same three options that lets you select the position of your phone’s hole punch camera cutout. This one lets you move the light ring left or right.
So now that we have successfully gotten a shape for our custom hole punch notification LED, and made it align perfectly to the physical one on our smartphone, now is the time to customize it by adding colors, effects, animations, etc.
And to do so, you can use all of the setting options that have already been provided for you in the app, in this same page that we’re currently in.
The “Edges style“ option lets you customize things such as the notification LED style, you can make use of the option that says “Edge color amount” to add colors, set the notification LED behavior by making use of “Lighting mode” and “Lighting effect” options respectively, and finally, “Edges speed“.
When you’ve setup everything to your taste and you have saved your settings, you can go ahead and take it for a spin by closing the app, turn off your phone’s display, and trying sending a short text to it using another phone.
That way, you can be sure that everything is working as expected, and from that moment onwards, you now have a full working custom hole punch notification LED, running on your Infinix Zero 8 smartphone.. #cheers..
Don’t forget to give this post a thumbs up by sharing it if you enjoyed reading it, and as always, I’ll see you all tomorrow, #Peace Out…
▪ 10+ best Infinix phones to buy in 2020.
▪ How to setup and make use of custom hole punch notification LED on Infinix S5.
▪ How to setup and make use of custom hole punch notification LED on Infinix Hot 9 & 10.
▪ How to setup and make use of custom hole punch notification LED on Infinix Note 7 & 8.
▪ Infinix Zero 8 vs Tecno Camon 16 Premier (Now you see it, now you don’t).