In order to get straight to the point and avoid beating about the bush, today I’m gonna show you two nifty tricks that lets you use the hole punch camera cutout of your Samsung Galaxy A71, as a customized hole punch inspired notification LED, in less than 30 minutes.
Something that will end up looking this way by the time we’re done.
Cool right? So as mentioned, I’ll be showing you two different approaches to doing this, and by the time that we’re done with both, you’d be left to choose which one works best for you.
And here are the two approaches that I’ll be showing you today…
- How to setup a customized hole punch inspired notification LED on your Samsung Galaxy A71, using Samsung’s “Good Lock” app.
- How to setup a customized hole punch inspired notification LED on your Samsung Galaxy A71, using “Always On Edge” third party app.
The first approach or method is pretty straightforward and will take you nothing less than 10 minutes to set up and start making use of the feature, though it has very limited customization options. And the Samsung Good Lock app might not be available in your location.
The second one is a bit more technical in setting up, but once you could grab a hold of it, it gives you lots of customization options and settings that you can apply to your custom hole punch notification LED.
So like i said, at the end, you’ll get to chose which one works best for you, and probably stick with it. And without further ado, let’s get started… #Enjoy.
How to setup a customized hole punch inspired notification LED on your Samsung Galaxy A71, using Samsung’s Good Lock app.
First of all, you’ll have to download Samsung’s Good Lock app from the Galaxy store on your smartphone, in case you didn’t have it before now.
But the issue here is the fact that the availability of Samsung’s Good Lock is currently being provided to only some set of Samsung Galaxy phone users in certain locations.
So you might not be very lucky in finding and downloading the Samsung Good Lock app from the Galaxy Store. The best way to know if you’re currently eligible to download and use Good Lock app is by actually going to the Galaxy store and try searching for “Good Lock”.
Cheers to those that found it on theirs, you can simply go ahead and download and install right away.
But for those who couldn’t find it on their Galaxy store, it simply means that the app is currently not available in your location like i mentioned earlier, and the only chance you have at setting up and enjoying this customized hole punch inspired notifications LED on your Galaxy A71, is by following the second method, which you can quickly jump to when you tap or click on the link below.
▪ Jump To 2nd Section – How to setup a customized hole punch notification LED on Galaxy A71, by using “Always On Edge” app.
If you’re here, I want to believe that you were able to successfully download and install the Good Lock app on your Samsung Galaxy A71 device, and if so, now let’s get down to business proper.
Go ahead and open the app, it should be running on its latest version by the way. On the app’s home screen, you should see some options that look like the ones from the screenshot below.
These options are called modules, and they are more or less like individual apps that can be installed and used separately, depending on what aspect of your phone’s UI that you want to customize.
Now take a look at the bottom portion of your phone’s display, and you should see two separate options, the first one says “Unit“, while the second one says “Family“. Simply tap on the one that says “Family“.
Once you do so, you’ll be taken to a new page that looks like this very one shown above, and here you’ll see some additional options (or modules in this case) like the ones from the previous page.
Samsung Galaxy A71 notification LED – Step Three
From the new options(modules) shown to you, tap on the one that says “EdgeLighting+” and you’ll be taken back to Samsung’s Galaxy store, where you can download and install this module.
Quickly do so, and when you’re done, go back to Good Lock app to open it, and the moment you do so, you’ll be greeted with this new screen, from where you can customize the edge lighting function of your Samsung Galaxy phone, using any one of the provided edge lighting styles shown to you.
From the numerous edge lighting styles shown to you, look for and select the one that says “Black hole”.
Once you select it, you should see a light ring glowing around the camera hole punch cutout of your Samsung Galaxy A71 phone as a form of a preview.
From here, you can also customize the color and duration of the lighting effect. So, make sure to take your time to tweak and customize things to your taste, and don’t forget to save your settings before leaving the page.
Now after doing all that, the next time you get a new notification on your phone, be it a missed call, an unread message, notifications from your social media apps, and whatnot, you should see that ring of light hovering over the camera hole punch cutout of your Samsung Galaxy A71 phone. #cheers.
Now for the sake of those who weren’t able to Good Lock installed on their phones due to location restrictions, I’m gonna show you how to do this same stuff, using a third-party app, the “Always On Edge” app.
And that brings us to the second method/approach of this whole process and tutorial session.
How to setup a customized hole punch inspired notification LED on your Samsung Galaxy A71, using “Always On Edge” app.
First thing first, go to Google Playstore and download the “AOE – Always On Edge” app, or simply do so by gently tapping on the button that says “Install” below.
After that, open the app for the first time, and it will ask you to grant it access to some necessary permissions. Do that quickly, and you should immediately find yourself on the app’s homepage which looks something like this.
From the app’s homepage, tap on the first option which says “Main Settings”, and it should take you straight to a new screen or page that looks like this.
This page allows you to set additional permissions for the app, and for starters, I’ll advise you to choose your settings the same way they are from the screenshot above.
When you’re done setting your options, don’t forget to save your settings before leaving the page, and let’s move over to the next settings of the app.
Samsung Galaxy A71 notification LED – Step Three
Find your way back to the app’s homepage, and this time, select the next option there which says “App Settings”, and once you do so, you should be taken to a new page that looks this way.
This is one pretty ass long page, so I’d advise you to take your time and here, and read through each setting option, one after the other.
This page allows you to set the app behavior such as, what activities on your phone triggers the app to start, and since we’re talking about notifications LED here, then i think it’s best to set yours to “Turn on Edge Lighting, when a notification is received, and screen is off”.
Though you can set other triggers as you can see from the screenshot above. So it all boils down to personal preferences, what you intend to use the app for, and how you want it to behave.
Once again for starters, I’d advise that you set yours the same way they have been set from the screenshots above, but for those who want to take matters into their hands, then you’re free to go ahead and enable or disable whatever options you want.
For the last time, find your way back to the app’s homepage, and this time, go to the next setting option which says “Lighting Settings“, and this is the point where you get to insert and customize your hole punch notification LED in the form of a light ring
From this page, you can start customizing things like;
- First inserting and properly positioning your custom hole punch inspired notification LED in the form of a light ring which will be shown around the camera hole punch cutout of your phone’s display, just like from the first method above, where we used Good Lock app.
- Then after that, you can go ahead and customize other aspects of the notification LED by adding colors, lighting style, lighting mode, effects, speed, etc.
So first of all, let’s try to insert and position our notification LED light ring so that it properly aligns with the center-positioned camera hole punch cutout of our Samsung Galaxy A71 phone.
And to do so, follow the steps listed below.
- To start with, you’d have to let the app know what type of hole punch camera design that your phone is having, and you do so by enabling the option that says “Enable Notch Support” and select “Adjust Manually”.
- For “Notch Type”, select “O”. Then you can use the slider below that is labeled as “Notch Height” to adjust how big or tiny that your want the ring of light to be.
- Scroll down a bit and you should see a section of the page that is labeled as “Lighting Placement”, and make sure it is set to “Around Notch Only”.
- After that, you’d still have to tell the app what position of your phone’s screen that the hole punch camera cutout is located.
- And to do so, you have three options to choose from, namely; “Right, Left & Center”. You should see them in this same page.
- Select the one that says “Center” which is probably the right thing to do since the hole punch cutout of the Galaxy A71 is located in the center. And once you do so, the light ring should be immediately moved to the center position of your phone’s display.
- Now you can use the slider that is labeled as “Top (set 0 if not hole)” to move the light ring upwards or downward, in order to properly align it with your Galaxy A71 hole punch cutout, in case it wasn’t properly aligned before now.
- Remember that you can always go back to the top of the page, and back to the option that says “Notch Height” to adjust how big or small you want the light ring size to be, in case it seems too big or too small.
- You can set both “Notch Width” and “Curve Radius” to zero as they don’t really do anything at this point.
Now that we’re done inserting and positioning the custom hole punch notifications LED, we can finally go ahead and customize things to our heart’s content by tweaking things such as Edges Style, Edge Color Amount, Lighting mode, Lighting Effect, and Edges Speed.
So make sure you take your time to tweak every part of the settings to your taste, and when you’re done, don’t forget to save your settings before leaving the page.
Step Five (Testing & Implementation)
If you followed everything written on this page correctly and you have your settings set the way they should be, the next thing you’ll have to do is to take the app for a spin, to test that everything is working correctly.
So make sure that you saved your settings from the last step above, when you’ve made sure of that, you can go ahead and close the app and also turn off your phone’s display.
Now try sending a message to your phone using a second phone, and if you did everything correctly, you should see the ring of light glowing and hovering around your phone’s camera hole punch cutout, just the way it is shown in this picture below.
And from now onwards, you now have your own customized hole punch inspired notifications LED light that shows up whenever you have new notifications on your phone.
You can feel free to go back to the app to tweak things even further like adding some side features which are not mentioned in this article like a custom Always-on display with different clock faces and features, animated wallpapers, etc.
So that will be all for today on how to setup a customized hole punch inspired notification LED on your Samsung Galaxy A71 smartphones.
Give this article a thumbs up by sharing it if you enjoyed reading it, and as always, I’ll see you all tomorrow, #Peace Out.