For those who are not fans of hole punch camera designs on android smartphones, and you probably hate the one on the Google Pixel 4a, well, today I’m gonna show you a simple trick that might eventually make you to begin to appreciate it more than you did before.
And what is it? Simple..
How to use the hole punch camera cutout on your Pixel 4a, as a custom notifications LED light. Something that looks like this after you must have finished setting it up.
This simply means that whenever you get a new notification on your phone, something like a missed call, a new unread message, social media notifications and so on, you will get that cool looking ring of light up there, glowing round your phone’s hole punch camera cutout.
So how do we get this set up on our Pixel 4a devices? Pretty simple. All you have to do is follow the steps which will be listed and discussed in this article, and in no time, you should have your own custom hole punch inspired notifications LED light, running on your Google Pixel 4a smartphone.
And without further ado, let’s get started.. #Cheers..
How to use the Google Pixel 4a hole punch camera cutout as a custom LED notifications light.
Go to Google Playstore and download an app called AOE “Always On Edge”, or simply do so by gently tapping on the button that says “Install” below.
A lot of you should probably know about this app by now and what it does, especially the Samsung folks, but more on that later.
When you’ve downloaded it and probably must have installed it as well, open it and grant it permissions to the necessary requests that it will ask you for, and after that, it should take you straight to the homescreen where you should be looking at an interface that looks this way.
Google Pixel 4a Hole Punch Inspired LED Notifications – STEP TWO
From the app’s homepage, tap on the first option that says “Main Settings”, and it should take you straight to another screen or page that looks like this.
Taking your time to skeem through the options one after other, you should probably know which ones to enable, or disable. But just to make things faster, I’d prefer you set yours same way that they have been set for you from the provided screenshot above. And don’t forget to save your settings before leaving the page though.
Find your way back to the app’s homepage, and this time, select the next option there that says “App Settings”, and once you do so, you should be ushered into a new page that looks this way.
Once again, you can take your time and scroll through the page, disabling and enabling the options as you please cause trust me, this is one really long page.
But just for the sake of those who might think the process is too technical and the app settings is just too overwhelming and sophisticated for them to handle, once again you can pick your options the same way that they have been set for you on the screenshot above.
And lastly, don’t forget to save your settings when you’re done.
Back to app’s homepage, and this time, go to the next setting option that is labelled as “Lighting Settings“, and this where things begin to get really interesting and personally creative.
I used the word “Personally creative” in the sense that on this page, you get to set and customize how you want the ring of light around your phone’s hole punch camera cutout to look and feel like. I mean, there is no limit to the amount of creativity that can be showcased here
But there are some basic things you have to know and rules you have to follow before you start getting creative. Things such as;
First, this app was initially created with the Samsung Galaxy S10 phones in mind way back in 2019 when they came out. Then as more android phones from various brands began adopting the hole punch camera thingy, the developers decided to make it universal.
- So to start with, you’d have to let the app know what type of hole punch camera design that your phone is having, and you do so by enabling the option that says “Enable Notch Support” and selecting “Adjust Manually”.
- For “Notch Type”, select “O”. Then you can use the slider below that is labelled as “Notch Height” to adjust how big or tiny that your want the camera ring light to be.
- Scroll down a bit and you should see a section of the page that is labelled as “Notch Placement”, and make sure it is set to “Around Notch Only”.
- After that, you’d still have to tell the app what position of your phone’s screen that the hole punch camera cutout is located.
- And to do so, you have three options to choose from, namely; “Right, Left & Center”. You should see them in the app.
- If you selected “Left” which is probably what you’ll do cause that is where that of the Pixel 4a is located, the ring left wouldn’t just move over to the left immediately. You will still have to adjust it so it is properly aligned with the Pixel 4a’s hole punch camera cutout.
- And to do so, you’ll have to make use of the slider that is labelled as “Top (set 0 if not hole)” to move the light ring upwards or downward, and then one last that is unlabelled, but is located just below those three options that lets you select the position of your hole punch camera cutout. This one lets you move the light ring left or right.
- You can decide to set “Notch Width” and “Curve Radius” both to zero as they don’t really have or show any effect at this point.
After you’ve made sure that the light ring is properly aligned to your Google Pixel 4a camera cutout and with your preferred size, now you can go ahead and start customizing things the way you want them to be and feel like.
You have the freedom to choose Edge Style, color, lighting mode, lighting effect etc. So customise everything to your taste and don’t forget to save your setting after doing so.
You can preview your setting as you go by simply tapping on the eye icon located somewhere around the right edge of your phone’s screen.
When you preview your setting and you’re satisfied with your result so far, you can go ahead and save it. When next you have a notification, you should see your custom hole punch inspired notifications light in action.
Google Pixel 4a Hole Punch Inspired LED Notifications – ADDITIONAL FEATURE
Aside from just using this app to setup custom hole punch notifications LED for your Google Pixel 4a device, this app also offers a nice catalog of live animated wallpapers, but you’d have to purchase the premium version of it to have access to these cool wallpapers.
But you can still have a peek view of them before deciding if they’re worth your $$ or not. And to do so, all you have to do is go back to the app’s homescreen, and at the very top of it, you should see a button that says “Animated Wallpapers”, tap on it, and from there, you should be able to get a sneak view of all the animated wallpapers that the app has to offer.
Alright guys, so that will be all for today on how to setup custom hole punch inspired notifications LED on your Google Pixel 4a phone.
Don’t forget to give this post a thumbs up by sharing it if you enjoyed reading it, and as always, I’ll see you all tomorrow, #Peace Out.
▪ How to setup and make use of custom hole punch inspired notifications LED on Samsung Galaxy Note10 & Note20 smartphones.
▪ How to setup and make use of custom hole punch inspired notifications LED on Samsung Galaxy S10 & S20 smartphones.
▪ 100+ best hole punch inspired wallpapers for Samsung Galaxy S10, S10+ & S10e.