Jumia!! Jumia!! Jumia!!
I mean, what’s the fuss all about?
Jumia is an online marketplace or an online store like every other online stores out there on the internet. And with no doubts, Jumia has grown to be the biggest and most trusted online marketplace, not just in Nigeria alone, but in Africa as a whole.
But that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t be careful enough when ordering products from there, because there are still wolves out there, lurking around in the dark and waiting for one vulnerable buyer to do away with their hard earned money.
When i say wolves, i mean people, sellers in this case, who after ordering for their goods or products, end up shipping or delivering inferior quality products to you, at the same prices of the original ones, or even end up delivering what you never ordered for entirely, especially those products that don’t offer the payment on delivery option.
So if you’ve once or twice had such bitter experience on the Jumia online store before, or you were just wandering about on the internet and mistakenly stumbled on this page, well;
Today I’m gonna show you some of the most crucial things you should look out for, and steps you should follow when next you’re ordering for products from the Jumia online store, so that you’ll only end buying from the most trusted and genuine sellers, and in return, you’ll get the best quality products at their original prices.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
Before we begin, i want to believe that you already have an account on Jumia and you know all the basics of shopping on Jumia like searching for and how to filter products based on your given criteria or preferences, such as color, price, brand, size (for wearables), etc.
So I’m just gonna go straight to the point, and try to hit the nail on the head in the shortest time possible.
Now here’s the idea, in order to fish out these wolves (bad sellers) on Jumia from the sheeps (genuine and trusted sellers), I’ll teach you how to do the following;
- Sort products based on “Rating“, so you’ll first see products with the most sales and highest ratings, with lots of customer reviews so you’ll learn from other people’s experiences, before deciding if a particular product is worth buying from a particular seller or not.
- Secondly I’ll teach you how to filter products based on where they’re shipped from, so that you’d be sure that the seller you’re buying from is based in your home country, and additionally, your goods will get to you quicker, and with lesser delivery fees.
- I will also teach you how to filter products based on a “seller score“, number of successful sales, and how long they’ve been selling on the Jumia online marketplace.
So once again, without further ado, let’s get started.. #enjoy…
Step One: Sort products based on “rating“.
When searching for products to buy on the Jumia online store, the first thing every thoughtful person should do before placing their orders and checking out is to sort the products, based on rating.
Doing this will first show you products that have the highest number of ratings and customer reviews within a given category, these products are also usually the most sold within that same category or product listing page.
And because of this, you can know what other people who have bought the product are saying about it, so you can judge based on their reviews.
To sort products based on rating, all you have to do is;
For those accessing the Jumia online store on a desktop browser;
- When you’re on a particular category or product listing page, say something like laptops.
- At the top right hand side of the page and you should see a button that says “Sort by“.
- By default, the button is set to sort by “Popularity“.
- Change that option to sort by “Product Rating“.
While for those accessing Jumia via the mobile app on an android phone;
- When you’re in a particular category or product listing page, say something like laptops.
- You should see a button at the top of the page, with the label “POPULARITY“.
- Tap on the button, and change the option to “BEST RATING“.
Now having done this, like i said, you should first start seeing products with the highest number of ratings and customer reviews. You should take your time to go through some of these reviews to know what other people are saying about each one of them.
Step Two: Make sure to filter products based on where they’re shipped from.
If you’re in Nigeria, I’d advice that you filter products based on products that are shipped from Nigeria. Though products that are shipped from abroad are usually cheaper than the ones shipped from Nigeria, but doing this gives you a sense of calmness that you’re buying from a Nigerian vendor, and it comes with even lesser delivery time and fees.
You should only use the “Shipped the abroad” option if a particular product or type of products you’re looking for aren’t readily available in Nigeria.
If you’re in other countries say something like Uganda and Kenya, I’m pretty sure that you’d also see the option to see products that are shipped from your home country, such as “Shipped from Uganda” or “Shipped from Kenya“.
To apply this filter, all you have to do is;
For those on a desktop browser;
- On a product category or listing page, at the left side of the page, you should see some options that moves along with you as you scroll down the page, these are the “Page filter” option.
- Now keep scrolling down the page while keeping your eyes on the options, until you see the option that says “Shipped from“, and from there, select the option that says “Shipped from Nigeria“.
While for those using the Jumia mobile app on their smartphones;
- While viewing a product category or product listing page, at the top of your phone’s screen, you should see the “FILTER” button.
- Tap on it and look for the “Shipped from” option from the list of options shown to you.
- When found, tap on it, and select the “Shipped from Nigeria” option and that’s all.
Now having done this, there is just one last thing that we have to do, and that is filtering products based on a seller’s score, the number of successful sales that they’ve had on the Jumia platform, and the number of years they’ve spent there.
For me, i like to buy from sellers who have at least up to 60 – 80+ percent seller score, have up to 1000+ sales, and have stayed up to 3+ years on the platform.
Step Three: Filter products based on “seller score“.
To do this, for those on a desktop browser;
- From those same options on the left side of your screen on a product listing page.
- Keep scrolling down until you see the option that says “Seller score“.
- From there, I’d advise you select the “60% or more” or “80% or more” options.
While for those using the Jumia mobile app;
- On a product listing or category page, tap on the filter button at the top of the page.
- Keep scrolling down until you see the option that is labelled as “Seller score“.
- And once again, it is advisable you either go for “60% or more” or “80 or more” options.
Now having done this, Jumia will first start showing you products with the best seller score, based on your selected range.
But it doesn’t end there. Now is the time to check each seller profile individually to see how long they’ve been on the platform, and the number of successful sales they’ve made.
This might seem tiring and time consuming, but the time and energy you’ll put in to do this will definitely pay off when your product finally arrives your doorstep.
And you don’t even need to do this for every single product on the page, you only do it for the ones that you’re interested in.
All you have to do is;
- Simply tap on a product on the product description page, scroll down slowly until you see the option that says “SELLER INFORMATION“.
- Tap on the seller name and a new page will open where you’ll all the seller’s list of product. This is not the page that we want to see, so tap on the seller’s name once again at the top of the page, and this time, you should see all the seller information.
- From there, you can judge how genuine a seller is based on the number of years they’ve been selling on Jumia, number of successful sales, their country of origin, and even “Order fulfilment rate” and “Quality score“.
- And like i said, i personally judge sellers based on;
- Selling on Jumia: 2 – 3+ years.
- Successful sales: 1,000+.
- Order fulfillment rate: 100%.
- Quality score: 80%+
So in summary, let’s assume that i want to get a very good laptop from the Jumia online store, what i have to do is first go to the laptop category whether on my desktop browser or via the Jumia mobile app on my phone.
Next thing is to change sorting to “Sort by: product rating” on desktop, or sort by “BEST RATING” on the mobile app.
After that, i have to make sure that I’m buying from a Nigerian vendor for those who are Nigerians, by going into the filter section and changing the “Shipped from” option to “Shipped from Nigeria“.
And lastly, i have to make sure that I’m buying from a seller that has up to 60 – 80%+ seller score, has stayed up to two or three years on the platform, and has up to a 1,000+ sales.
And don’t forget to read lots of customer reviews for a product before placing your orders and checking out, so you’d know what other customers are saying about same product.
So guys, that’s all about some of the things you should look out for when next you’re planning to order things from Jumia, so you’ll buy from genuine sellers, and end up buying the best quality products at their original prices.
Don’t forget to give this post a thumbs up by sharing it if you enjoyed reading it, and as always, I’ll see you all tomorrow, #Peace Out.
▪ 8 best sites to buy phones online in Nigeria.