What is an eSim?
eSim, you might be wondering, what is it, what does it stand for? For some persons, you might already be familiar with the word “Sim” or Sim cards, which simply stands for “Subscriber identity module”.
While for many, this might probably be your first time of hearing the word eSim, so what does it mean?
Now if you interpreted that as “electronic SIM”, well, you’re correct. But just so you know, eSim is actually an acronym for “Embedded-Sim” or “Embedded subscriber identification module” if you care to pronounce it to the end.
And what is it actually in real life? Simple..
This is the newest generation of sim cards that are used in our digital devices and gadgets such as our smartphones and computers.
Unlike our regular sim cards which is a little piece of plastic chip that is inserted into our phones, for the case of eSim(s), you don’t need that physical chip any longer, as this process has already been taken care of for you by your phone manufacturer.
So all you have to do in this case is to add your network profile from any of the various telecommunications network providers in your region that currently supports eSim, and that is all, and you can even switch between various network providers at will.
How does eSim work & How do i get MTN eSim right here in Nigeria?
Simple, eSim can only work if your smartphone currently supports it. Most flagship phones from the likes of Google Pixel 3 and 4 models, Samsung Galaxy S20 lineups, iPhone XR, XS, and iPhone 11 models, etc, currently supports eSim.
So if you own any of the aforementioned smartphones and you stay in Nigeria, to get eSim started on your device, all you have to do is;
How to get a free MTN eSim in Nigeria
To get an MTN eSim here in Nigeria, all you have to do is;
- Walk into any MTN customer care store close to you and enquire about eSim registration.
- You will be provided with a QR code to scan and download an eSIM profile and perform the usual SIM registration.
- There will be an indication on the phone that shows that the eSIM is active (the eSIM can be primary or secondary SIM). Also, the network for the eSIM will become active.
- And that is all.
Benefits of eSim over physical sim cards.
- eSim doesn’t require a physical card to work, you only need an eSim profile and that is all.
- Multiple eSim profiles can be used on a single device (you can switch from one profile to another at will).
- One eSim profile can work on multiple devices like your phone and smartwatches.
Alright guys, that’s all you need to know about eSim and how you can get one from MTN NG if you currently reside in Nigeria.
Do make sure to subscribe to our post notifications if you haven’t done so, and as always, I’ll see you all tomorrow, #Peace Out.
▪ Mediatek processor guide – All you need to know about mediatek smartphone processor lineups and how they differ from each other.
▪ Tecno Phantom 10 early speculative preview – What we want to see on Tecno’s flagship phone for 2020.